Saturday, February 18, 2012

Digging in the garden

This post will explain a few tips and tricks for double digging a plot that is currently covered in grass.  I just started digging today, and would like to go over some of the things I've learned.  Several months ago I started trying to dig a 4ft x 4ft x 4ft hole for an aquaponics project I was trying to do.  I quick while digging the hole :).  In the project I learned that when people say that Missouri has clay dirt, they're not just joking around.  The clay sticks to the spade, making the process much harder.  So for the last few months i've had a 2ft x 4ft x 4ft hole :) hey I made it half way, and today I finally got all the dirt back into the hole.  In the process I learned that there are different types of shovels, and they're not created equal.

What's in a tool?
The shovel that doesn't work:
This is the only kind of shovel i've ever owned.  Long handle, pointy

The shovel that does work:
Notice the flat bottom, and D handle

I also added on another piece that was just wonderful.  Technically I have a broken back (long story), and so the work really gets to my back, but with this handle, it was much much more bearable.

Adds a handle to the middle of your shovels, racks, etc.  Very amazing.  I found mine in walmart, you can find them on amazon or at http://www.backsavergrip.com/.

I found the handle at walmart for $10, and a version of the shovel for $10 (though I bought it at lowes for $20 first :( oh well, hopefully it's better quality).  All in all, this garden spade vs the other shovel is a completely different tool, and much much better to work with.

So far, after about 2-3 hours of work (with breaks, i'm not really built for this stuff) I've gotten a 4ft x 10ft section dug.  Note, if you're digging grass into your beds, it's easiest to use a fork and break the grass off on the row, and then put the grass in the next trench upside down, then dig the rest of the next trench on top of the grass.  This does 2 things.  First it requires the grass to try harder to reach the surface, and hopefully die in the process, and Second it requires you to wait at least 3-4 weeks before you plant (or at least the nitrogen in the soil is being used to break down the grass until then).  Doing the grass this way unlocks the nitrogen that's in it, rather than having to compost it (which I don't have my compost bin's setup, or purchased, yet).

I've finished the first 4ft x 20ft, and let me tell you, it's a lot of work.  I now need to finish making the frame for the first one, and getting it in place.  I'll try and take pictures to update it.

I'll keep you up to date about the other digging sessions I have.  I still have 2 more 4ft x 20ft, and the 2ft rim (which is going to be interesting to say the least).

No comments:

Post a Comment