Saturday, November 10, 2012

Gathering Basil Seeds

I don't have a camera good enough to take pictures of this, but gathering basil seeds has been very very easy.  I started out by watching the following video:


It's very informative about what to do, but I'll go over some of the details here.  It's extremely easy to grow basil seeds (in fact, there are websites that show you how to stop the basil from going to seed :)).

Step 1 - Wait for the basil to go to seed
Step 2 - Wait for the seeds to dry up and become brown.  Usually the whole row of seeds will go brown together, wait for it to turn brown
Step 3 - Cut off the whole stem of brown seed pods.
Step 4 - I've found, that rather than the video, I prefer to take 1 pod at a time and work to get the seeds out.

Things to keep in mind:

  • Basil seeds are a bit like coarse sand, they're very small, and black.  So my first tip is to work on a piece of paper.
  • Have a trash can handy.  There is lots of left over scraps, and it's best to keep your working station clean between stems
All in all from 2 plants, I took about 2 or 3 stems each and have more basil seeds than i'll ever be able to plant :).  If anyone in missouri wants some basil seeds let me know.

Here's a picture of the stems i'm talking about.  I've linked it to where I got it to help the person who took the picture.



UPDATE - 01/01/2013

I found another set of basil seeds hanging in the garage, so I decided to see if i could take some pictures of the small flowers and seeds inside.  We'll see how they turn out.  You may have to click on the pictures to see them at full size to really see what's going on.

Here are the flowers ready to be seeded.  Notice they are
relatively large,  each flower holds up to 4 basil seeds

This is what the seeds look like inside the flower.  Notice
all 4 are still in this pod ready to be planted next year :)

No comments:

Post a Comment