Saturday, December 22, 2012

Building a compost bin

Last night I decided to build a compost bin.  We have a large pile in the back yard that has tons of grass and leaves and all my dead plants from this years planting.  He's been kind of composting, but I decided I wanted to build a bin that would help it compost a little quicker.

I'll eventually find the youtube video, but I saw a video that talked about which compost bin works the best.  The one that won the whole thing ended up being a thick plastic hoop, and so I decided to build one just like it.

I started out with plastic garden fencing, this isn't the exact stuff i got but basically is :).  I also got some bailing wire.  Then I cut enough to make a 4 or 5 foot diameter cylender, and used the bailing wire to tie the ends together.  So now, in the end I have a roughly 4ft x 4ft cylendar, a little over a cubic yard.

I had a really hard time getting it to stand up at first, next time i'd likely use either posts, or metal fencing to make it work out better, live and learn i guess :).  However, I kept adding all the stuff in my composting pile and added it to the cylinder.  And found that I have lots of nice compost at the bottom of the pile :), lots of worms, and 1 pretty nasty looking spider.

I'll try and take weekly pictures of the compost pile just to record how things shrink and decompose.

Picture Log:
12-22-2012 (day 1)  The fork shows the height (the bin is 4ft tall)

No comments:

Post a Comment